Would you like to join one of Michigan's premier Choirs?
Rackham Choir attracts some of the finest singers in Southeast Michigan. Members are selected by audition from volunteer singers of all ages throughout Metro Detroit and beyond.
For fully vaccinated (COVID-19) individuals, in-person rehearsals have resumed on Tuesdays at First Presbyterian Church of Royal Oak, 529 Hendrie Blvd., Royal Oak MI 48067. Members may choose to participate virtually via Zoom. These rehearsals last from 7 until 9, and include warmups, sight singing exercises, rehearsal of diverse choral works, and visits from professional singers and speakers. With this structure, rehearsals move quickly and have become a highlight of the week for many of our members.
- Submit your request to audition form (download link below) to email@example.com.
- If you are fully vaccinated, you are welcome to join one rehearsal, then audition at the end of that rehearsal session. Alternatively, virtual auditions of non-fully-vaccinated individuals may be submitted at any time.
- Auditions consist of one selection of your choosing that highlights the strengths of your voice and allows you to be expressive. You may also use one of the pieces from the in-person rehearsal, or, sing a verse of "God Bless America."
- If you choose to attend a rehearsal in person and then audition, please bring a copy of your music score for the accompanist.
- For a virtual audition submission, also record a couple of vocal exercises to demonstrate the range of your voice.
- If you don’t have piano accompaniment for the virtual audition, it is fine to submit it without any accompaniment.
- For recording a video submission, using two devices for recording is the easiest way: plug your headset in one of the two devices (e.g. your tablet/computer) and listen to the learning track. Set up a second device (e.g. your phone) to record your audio and video.
- Make sure you frame your video correctly: set it up in landscape mode, with your eyes approx. at 2/3 of the screen height with some room above your head.
- Look for a neutral, well lit environment, with a light source (e.g. a window) behind the camera and not behind you.
- Submit your video to: https://www.dropbox.com/request/GExH7I9TLvn5Sk2vJHU7
What to expect if accepted:
- All fully-vaccinated persons should expect to attend weekly in-person rehearsals at First Presbyterian Church of Royal Oak, from 7:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. on Tuesdays. Persons not-fully vaccinated are welcome to become Members, but only fully-vaccinated individuals may participate in live performances.
- Until further notice, face masks are required to be worn during any indoor rehearsals. Weather permitting, some rehearsals may take place outdoors and mask wearing would be optional.
- At-home practice is recommended.
- Expect to attend additional rehearsals as we approach a concert date. (e.g., Thursday dress rehearsal prior to a Friday concert.)
- All members will need to download the freeware “Zoom” application in order to participate in the online rehearsals.
- We rehearse late August through June. In the summer, we either have workshops or a rehearsal once a month.
- Rackham Choir typically performs at various venues throughout the Detroit metro area. We frequently perform at the Detroit Opera House, the Ford Center for the Performing Arts, and area churches and synagogues.
- We want all who are interested in singing to join us and have fun in our singing community.
- Annual dues are $150, however, are optional for the remainder of the 2021-2022 season during the current pandemic.
In-person auditions will be held immediately following one rehearsal of your choice. Virtual auditions will be held via video submission. Some members may attend rehearsals via Zoom.
Virtual auditions may be submitted at any time.
All Applications and Inquiries may be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For future seasons, high school students wishing to pursue a career in music should consider our special intern program for high school students (click on "Education" above for more details.)Download Audition Form
High School Interns