Would you like to join one of Michigan's premier Choirs?
Rackham Choir attracts some of the finest singers in Southeast Michigan. Members are selected by audition from volunteer singers throughout Metro Detroit.
Singing with Rackham Choir is a challenging and rewarding experience. As a member, you can expect to perform three to four concerts each year with invitations to participate in other collaborations. The Michigan Opera Theatre frequently invites selected members of the choir to perform in main stage productions.
- During the current pandemic, virtual auditions are being held monthly June-October with additional auditions in December and January.
- You should be prepared to sing one selection of your choosing that highlights the strengths of your voice and allows you to be expressive.
- Accompaniment will be provided. Please provide a copy of your music for the pianist.
- You will be asked to sight read and vocalize.
- Most auditions take about 15 minutes.
What to expect if accepted:
- Rehearsals are generally held 7-9 p.m. on Tuesday evenings, with longer rehearsals or extra evenings as required closer to performances. Due to the current pandemic, rehearsal time may be limited to approximately an hour.
- Until further notice, due to the current pandemic, rehearsals will be held virtually via video/Zoom. Thereafter, rehearsals will be held at the 1st Presbyterian Church of Royal Oak at 529 Hendrie Boulevard.
- We rehearse late August through June. In the summer, we either have workshops or a rehearsal once a month. Until further notice, all rehearsals will be held virtually via video/Zoom.
- RC performs at various venues throughout the Detroit metro area. We frequently perform at the Detroit Opera House, the Ford Center for the Performing Arts, and area churches and synagogues.
- We encourage our members to participate in every concert. However, depending on the circumstances, one may be excused from singing.
- Annual dues are $150. Scholarships are available based on financial need.
Auditions are usually held on Tuesday evenings, at 1st Presbyterian Church of Royal Oak at 529 Hendrie Boulevard, Royal Oak. HOWEVER, during the current pandemic, all auditions and rehearsals will be held virtually via video.
Our next virtual auditions will be held during September and October.
All Applications and Inquiries may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please look at our special intern program for high school students interested in joining our choir. High School vocalists not selected for the program may still be accepted into the choir.Download Audition Form
High School Interns