Would you like to join one of Michigan's premier Choirs?
Rackham Choir attracts some of the finest singers in Southeast Michigan. Members are selected by audition from volunteer singers of all ages throughout Metro Detroit and beyond.
While unable to rehearse or perform in person during the pandemic, members gather virtually via Zoom on Tuesdays beginning at 7:00 p.m.. These rehearsals last an hour or sometimes longer, and include warmups, sight singing exercises, rehearsal of diverse choral works, and visits from professional singers and speakers. With this structure, rehearsals move quickly and have become a highlight of the week for many of our members. We are hoping to have an in-person Intern Showcase concert in May 2021…depending on Covid-19 guidelines.
- During the current pandemic, auditions are virtual and may be submitted at any time.
- Record one selection of your choosing that highlights the strengths of your voice and allows you to be expressive. Or, sing a verse of "God Bless America."
- Record a couple of vocal exercises to demonstrate the range of your voice.
- If you don’t have piano accompaniment for this audition, it is fine to submit it without any accompaniment.
- Using two devices for recording is the easiest way: plug your headset in one of the two devices (e.g. your tablet/computer) and listen to the learning track. Set up a second device (e.g. your phone) to record your audio and video.
- Make sure you frame your video correctly: set it up landscape, with your eyes approx. at 2/3 of the height and some room above your head.
- Look for a neutral, well lit environment, with a light source (e.g. a window) behind the camera and not behind you.
- Submit your video to: https://www.dropbox.com/request/GExH7I9TLvn5Sk2vJHU7
What to expect if accepted:
- Until further notice, weekly virtual rehearsals, held via Zoom, begin at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and generally last an hour, occasionally an hour and one-half. At-home practice is recommended.
- Members will need to download the freeware “Zoom” application in order to participate in the online rehearsals.
- We rehearse late August through June. In the summer, we either have workshops or a rehearsal once a month. Until further notice, all rehearsals will be held virtually via video/Zoom.
- During "normal times" Rackham Choir typically performs at various venues throughout the Detroit metro area. We frequently perform at the Detroit Opera House, the Ford Center for the Performing Arts, and area churches and synagogues.
- While currently not required, we encourage our members to submit recordings for our virtual concerts. We want all who are interested in singing to join us and have fun in our singing community.
- Annual dues are $150, however, are waived for the remainder of the 2020-2021 season during the current pandemic.
Until further notice, all auditions will be held virtually via video submission, and virtual rehearsals are being held via Zoom.
Virtual auditions may be submitted at any time.
All Applications and Inquiries may be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For future seasons, high school students wishing to pursue a career in music should consider our special intern program for high school students (click on "Education" above for more details.)Download Audition Form
High School Interns